Fresh off of a vacation on Maui, I’ve had my mind on swimsuit cover-ups (did you catch the Maui Vacay post?). I think actually I like cover-ups more than regular clothes! And I have a small (ish) collection that I wear on getaways that include poolside lounging.
Now that spring is here (although you’d never know it based on our Northern California weather), our fashion sights are set on springy and summery clothes. That includes beach and swimwear.
The role of a swimsuit cover-up has grown as I’ve gotten older. Gone is the season of my life when my cover-up consisted of a pair of cut-off Levi’s pulled on with my bikini. Now I’ve built a little wardrobe of swimsuit cover-ups. And I have fun pairing them with my swimsuit of the day when vacationing.
There’s no such thing as too many cover-ups in my world (I haven’t even pictured every one of mine! 😳)
Check out the brief swimsuit cover-up “guide” below, followed by some of my personal favorites and styles I’ve curated for you.
(This post is much shorter on words than last week’s Maui Vacation post – thought I’d give you a break! Thank you for reading and following the blog. If you know someone who might enjoy the content, please share this subscribe form link with them: https://view.flodesk.com/pages/63d45ee9de520bd60dc33f3c.)
Swimsuit Cover-up Guide
- Boyfriend Shirt – As the name suggests, a boyfriend shirt style cover-up takes its cue from a man’s shirt, with a loose fit. A boyfriend shirt cover-up is typically made with lighter weight fabric and is longer in length than a traditional shirt.
- Caftan – The caftan is a loose-fitting, oversized flowy dress, usually in fun prints and patterns. Length can vary from above the knee to ankle length. A caftan is a chic choices for sun protection and modesty without skimping on style.
- Pants: Beach / Harem Style – Cover-up pants are generally made from lightweight material allowing you to cover up but still stay cool. With elastic waist bands and fun prints, cover-up pants are comfortable for lounging by the pool and can also move to an afternoon in town.
- Robe / Kimono – A kimono-inspired cover-up has an open front like a robe and can be kept closed with a tie belt.
- Romper –A romper is a one-piece shorts outfit with the top and bottom connected. It’s a popular children’s style and has gained popularity with adult women (often the younger ages) as a cute summer outfit.
- Sarong / Pareo – Sarongs or pareos are large pieces of fabric that can be tied around the waist. Longer sarongs can be tied in a variety of ways to create a dress style, a skirt, a wrap, and even sand-free beach seat.
- Shorts – Shorts are a popular style to cover up in as they can easily be paired with a tee shirt for complete coverage that can take you from pool to lunch. Styles range from long or short boardshorts to athletic style shorts and shorts in quick-dry fabrics.
- Sun Dress – A dress style cover-up ranges from a sassy short dress to a maxi, an ankle-length dress. Any summer dress can play the role of swimsuit cover-up, but there are some made specifically for that purpose, often in lighter weight and quick dry fabrics.
- Tunic – A tunic is a pullover piece that can either be classified as a long shirt or a short dress. Tunics tend to hit at the thigh and range from simple tank top styles to long sleeve styles.