LOVE this Daytripper Tote by Logan + Lenora & Maui Memories & Recommendations
We returned from Maui less than 48 hours ago, and crashing back into reality after a 12-day Hawaiian vacation has been what you’d expect – a little rocky! It was our longest vacation ever, and it was just the right amount of time. The weather was consistently in the high 80’s (F) – never had to wear a sweater. Swimsuits, beach and pool, tropical beverages, no wake-up alarms – all that a vacation should be.
In today’s post I want to tell you about my Logan + Lenora Daytripper tote bag that I purchased just before the trip that turned out to be pretty close to perfection in my book, checking all the boxes for what I wanted it to be.
I’m so excited about this bag! I’ve been searching for the perfect travel tote for several years. I have a small collection now of various types of travel bags – a rolling backpack, a tiny rolling carry-on suitcase, shoulder weekender totes (multiple). Each time I think I’ve found the perfect solution for a travel tote or bag – one that will hold all my carry-on items for a flight – I end up disappointed.
I discovered Logan + Lenora bags from a blog I found while searching for Hawaii packing tips. (The packing situation is another thing I have to work on!) I was attracted to the waterproof beach bag by Logan + Lenora that was featured in the blogger’s post. However, I discovered several styles of bags that the company offers, including the Daytripper style that I decided to buy.
Logan + Lenora Daytripper
I’m happy to report that this tote bag did everything I wanted it to do! Here’s what I love about it:
- The exterior is made of poly canvas. The base is reinforced with a double layer of the same material. The handles are woven into thick, durable (and comfortable) straps that can easily be carried on your shoulder.
- The bag is very lightweight! This is important because I typically carry on quite a collection of items when I fly. Starting out with a lightweight bag can make all the difference.
- Pockets! There are three waterproof pockets: the large main interior pocket, a zippered interior pocket, and a large zippered exterior pocket. Additionally, there are three rear open exterior pockets; the middle rear pocket zips open to convert to a trolley sleeve.
- It has a trolley sleeve! I know I just said that, but it has a trolley sleeve! This was a major feature for which I’ve been on a search.
- And – get this – the bag is machine washable!
Logan + Lenora Daytripper or Beach Tote
Although I was first attracted to the Logan + Lenora Beach Tote after reading about it on the blog, I didn’t know if I truly needed a dedicated beach bag. The beach tote (14″ x 16″ x 8″) is larger than the Daytripper bag (14″ x 14″ x 6.5″). The larger size would be perfect for carrying a family’s belongings to the beach or pool, but I decided I didn’t need that large capacity.
The other deciding factor was the trolley sleeve. Being able to slide the Daytripper onto the handle of my suitcase was what clinched it for me. (Plus, I love the name “trolley sleeve”!)
I decided that it made more sense, especially since the bag is not inexpensive, to purchase a “multi-tasking” tote – one that would be my travel carry-on and could double as my beach and pool bag.
The Daytripper Capacity
I had NO trouble fitting in all I wanted to carry.
Daily I carried this bag to the pool and beach. As you can see, I carted around plenty! It held my iPad for reading, several mindless magazines, my water bottle, adult beverage Yeti tumbler (20 oz. Rambler) (pro tip: we made our own piña coladas to enjoy poolside, saving many dollars that we’d have spent at the pool bar), small wallet, flip flops, sunscreen (Beautycounter, of course!), and that large cosmetic bag (not sure why I had that with me at the pool that day). On beach days, I added a beach towel.
Daytripper as a Carry-on
I used the Logan + Lenora Daytripper as a carry-on both ways, and it was ideal. I really packed a lot in it, and although it got a bit heavy, I didn’t have a problem carrying it on my shoulder (I love the crossbody strap but didn’t use it on this trip since the bag is so comfortable to carry on my shoulder with the woven straps).
My going home carry-on included: all my makeup (I NEVER check my makeup as I don’t want to risk losing it – there’s a lot of cost in all that stuff!), my jewelry (same), three bulky magazines (I don’t know why I thought I’d need all three on the flight!), iPad, laptop, water bottle.
Additionally, on our flight to Maui I carried on a change of clothes and a swimsuit. I always carry a change of clothes when I’m traveling to my outbound destination just in case my luggage goes astray, at least I’ll have some clothes to change into while I wait for my luggage to find me.
You can see that the Daytripper doesn’t look overstuffed or burdensome, even though it was packed to the gills.
Logan + Lenora Details
The Logan + Lenora website allows selection from several color options for the tassel and crossbody strap if you want a customized look.
I was tempted to go with a solid black – seemed practical. However, I have so many black bags, and I’m just tired of being so safe. So I went with natural and black with a camel crossbody strap. I carried it on two flights and to the pool/beach every day for 12 days, and it still looks brand new! I was a bit worried that the bottom might wear fast since the bag was often sitting on the cement in the pool area, but nope! The reinforced base really worked – no wear and tear. Knowing I could wash the bag in the washing machine helped make the decision to go with a light color.
Here’s a peek at some of our Maui vacation
Mai Tai Research Project
A Mai Tai is an adult beverage that tells me I’m in the tropics! Every place I ordered one had their own version of the iconic drink. I was searching for my favorite. As you can see, there were a number of very fancy looking Mai Tais, including the Tai Mai at the Hali’imaile General Store (the fourth photo). It turned out that my favorite was the least fancy – the Mai Tai(s) that I had on the Hula Girl catamaran sunset sail (last photo – unfancy).
Aqua Glider - So much fun!
Morning Walks on Ka'anapali Beach
A Few Maui Recommendations
I am not going to make a huge list, but here are a few places that we would recommend if you’re going to be on West Maui:
- Lahaina Grill – We treated ourselves to a belated anniversary dinner here. It’s expensive but worth it. The service is impeccable and the food is amazing. I was surprised also at the generous portions.
- Down the Hatch – Also in Lahaina, this fun place, popular with locals and visitors, has a fun bar scene and really fresh seafood. Order at the counter and your food and drinks are delivered to your table.
- Kimo’s, Lahaina – Great deck for cocktails or dining.
- Hula Grill – Next to Whaler’s Village on Ka’anapali Beach, we love the barefoot bar, which is tables in the sand with a great view of the beach. Fun for happy hour, and you can also dine for lunch or dinner.
- Monkeypod – Also at Whaler’s Village, Monkeypod is well-known for their Mai Tais (the frothy one in photos above) and for happy hour. Great views of the beach.
- Hali’imaile General Store – Not far from Kahului Airport and about a 45 minute drive from Lahaina, this is a definite-must do for their fabulous, but casual menu. It opens at 11:00 am for lunch (lunchtime reservations only for 5 or more), and you’ll have no problem getting a table if you get there at the beginning of lunch service. So many delicious things on the menu. It is now on our list of restaurants we can’t miss on our visits to Maui. If you can time it to work when you are leaving or going to the airport, it is super convenient. We drove there just for lunch, and it wasn’t that big a deal with all the scenery on the way. (Dinner reservations are recommended for any size party.)
- Mama’s Fish House – We haven’t made it to Mama’s yet, but it’s on our list for next time. Everyone recommends it, and because it’s so good, reservations need to be made in advance. It’s near Paia, like the General Store, not far from the airport.
Catamaran – Hula Girl
The Hula Girl has become a must activity for us. This is probably the most beautiful catamaran on Maui (it’s not just our opinion – that’s what we’ve heard from many locals and hotel/concierge staff). The service is first class and professional. It’s the only catamaran that prepares food to order in an on-board galley. Because of this feature, food and beverages are not included in the cost of the reservation, and it’s a little more expensive than other catamaran outings, but we think it’s well worth it. We’ve done the dinner cruise, snorkel cruise, and sunset cruise, and have thoroughly enjoyed each. We recommend it to everyone who is traveling to Maui. Also, it won the award of “My Favorite Mai Tai”!
More Maui Recommendations – check out my July 2018 Maui post!
Beautycounter Skincare Must-Haves!
These are the Beautycounter skincare products I brought with me and used religiously while I was exposing my skin to the stresses of all that intense sun. Self-care extends beyond the vacation relaxation for our psyche. I wanted to give my skin the care it deserves too!
Pictured are (and, yes, I used them all!):
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion (super moisturizing)
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist (lightweight!)
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Stick (Use it every day on the backs of your hands!)
- Countersun After Sun Cooling Gel (I used this once but with the sunscreen products I used, I literally DID NOT get sunburned although I did spend a lot of time in the sun and came home with a suntan. I know, I know. I shouldn’t spend that much time in the sun.)
- Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream (I actually freaked out when I realized that my Soft Cream was almost gone and I didn’t have enough for the trip. So I ordered it the day before we left to be delivered to the hotel. And it made it!)
- Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream (Can’t live without this now.)
- Melting Body Balm (Allure magazine Best of Beauty Award Winner!) AMAZING! Enough said.
- Citrus Mimosa Hand Cream (My skin was getting so dry, I got a little panicky if I didn’t have this with me.)
- Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel (in old packaging) (This is one of my very favorite Beautycounter products – it’s a freebie right now for new Band of Beauty members – $63 value!)
- Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask (Even my husband did a mask.)
Beautycounter questions? Email me at KarenTarver@gmail.com.
- My favorite Tkees leather flip flops (I have four colors!). Join their email list because their once-a-year sale happens around Black Friday. These retail for $50 (when not on sale), and they are worth it!
- Another favorite: Ili New York Leather Eyeglass Case – super cute and lots of colors (only $19.25).
- Lastly, my sun visor. I am never sure whether this is cute or dorky, but it’s easy to carry around and has a tropical vibe. I can’t find this one with the palm trees, but here’s a similar visor.