What’s your favorite season? Are you counting the days to fall? Or are you a summer girl like me, hanging on to the last vestiges of the dog days? As I turn the calendar to August, I’m already feeling wistful for those long, warm, sunny days (or if you live near the Sonoma coast like I do, the days are more like foggy in the morning, warm in the afternoon, foggy in the evening!).
Fortunately for me, our summer weather usually extends to early October – Indian Summer. However, despite the beautiful summery weather, it’s no secret that it’s fall. We are reminded by the seasonal traditions, the changing colors of nature, and the fashion that we see in stores and magazines.
As we bridge the transition from summer to fall clothes, it can be challenging to dress for the weather – that may swing from chilly to pretty warm – and straddle two seasons. Here are some ideas for gradually moving your look from summer to fall.
- Add a cardigan sweater over a tank or t-shirt.
- Use a denim or other button-down style shirt over tank top or t-shirt (jacket-like).
- Pair your summer maxi skirt with booties.
- Scarves: I’m a big fan of scarves. Don’t forget the extra dimension and color pop that scarves can provide, in addition to keeping you a bit warmer on chilly mornings – it’s an easy way to bring a look from summer to fall.
- Replace your summer sandals with closed shoes (try loafers, cool oxfords, slip-on tennies).
- Pair bright colors with dark neutrals (black, brown, gray), e.g., pink pants with black or gray top/cardigan, or orange tank with tan or gray pants or skirt.
- Top a summer maxi skirt with a chunky knit.
- A leather jacket is a great way to bring a little fall to a summer maxi dress or short dress.
- Makeup: Remember that your makeup and nail color can help with the summer-to-fall transition. Focus on burgundy, red, and other deep tones for lips and nails (purple, gray, black).
- Jewelry: We often wear our lightweight necklaces and earrings during the warm summer months because it’s just more comfortable. As we move into fall, it’s a good time to incorporate some of the heavier pieces you have.
I was so inspired as I researched for and wrote this post, that I went into my closet (mid-article) to try to put together some transitional outfits. It was fun! Pictured here is a summer maxi dress paired with a jeans jacket, leopard print scarf, and slip-on shoes. I photographed the other outfits I created and have shared them with you below (disclaimer: I am honing my blogging skills, including photography, as I go, so please no judging!).
And I have a challenge for you this week (it’s kind of like a game!). Go into your own closet and pull out some of your favorite summer staples. Then go back with a different lens (the fall lens) and find some pieces that will help you to bridge the summer season to fall season. You can use some of the ideas from my own examples and also check out my Fall to Summer Fashion Transition Pinterest board. Take photos of the outfits you create, then when the transition from summer to fall begins, you’ll have some ready-to-go looks that are styled for that in-between season.
I’m sure you will find other great ways to extend your summer favorites as we move into fall. Be creative and have fun with it. I’d love to hear about how you’ve fall-styled your summer faves.
Here’s what I came up with “shopping” in my closet for transitional summer to fall outfits. (I didn’t include jewelry in this project – but that’s another fun option to explore.) If you click on the image, you can zoom in to see the pieces better.